President’s weekend is upon us, and a quick check of the handy dandy events calendar reveals only one event of note. I asked Lanny over at Herb Walks if he had any previews for tomorrow’s hike up Gridley in Ojai. He put it best so I’ll just cut and paste:
1) we’re going into a cooling trend the next couple of days making Saturday perfect weather for climbing up the Gridley trail.
2) it doesn’t start until 9:30. such a late start doesn’t work in the summer but nice now.
3) we’ll also check out the new connector trail to the fuelbreak trail that the OVLC now administers
4) a one-time offer! anyone subscribed to your blog gets a $5 discount!
5) also, my standing offer: anyone who goes on 3 walks or hikes in a season goes on the 4th one free
6) this is labeled an “herb hike” because of the steep grade and rough terrain of sections but actually won’t be more than 2 miles or so round trip
To summarize.. perfect weather, sleep in a little, short but steep, check out a neat new trail at a huge discount. Cool bonus, on the new Fuelbreak trail that Lanny will show you, keep your eyes open on the downhill side for a funky white/purple sage hybrid that Rick B spotted last year. Anyone who sends in a good pic of it gets an exclusive hand embroidered Ojai Rambler codpiece. Football’s done, the Lakers are meh and baseball doesn’t start for a month so get out there!
Also I’d like to give a shout out to a really cool new blog that the wife discovered while trying to chart my meteoric ascent up the google searches. Josh over at Trailblogs does some great local trail reviews, a lot more details than my scatterbrained missives. Features really nice pictures that don’t look like they were taken by a blind epileptic (like mine).